Wednesday, November 25, 2009

From Drab to Fab: the Schoolroom/Office/Art Room/Library Makeover

It doesn't happen to me very often that something turns out just as I imagined. At least not when it comes to decorating. Something always seems to stand in the way.
Usually money.
And time.
But sometimes the stars align, and with a little bit of hard work, and a lot of patience, things start to come together.

When we moved into this house, we had an extra bedroom. The house is only a 3 bedroom, but our kids share a room and will do so for a number of years. They don't know any different, and they like it. I don't think they even understand that they could have their own rooms! I had big plans for our the extra room.

It would be a place that would function as an office, housing the computer and a workspace for me. A place to keep paperwork and the bills. It would also be a schoolroom. We would keep our books here so it would be a library too. The walls would have maps and the other learning visual aids. Since it would also be the art room, we'd have all our art supplies here. There would be room on the walls to hang masterpieces.

In my mind it was beautiful.
But this was the reality.


While we unpacked, it was a staging area for boxes, both full and empty. An ill fitting and ugly desk held the computer. A dresser too large for the other rooms didn't fit right in this room either. Laundry that needed to be ironed, or folded an put away always seemed to find its way in here.
I had to keep the doors closed so the kids would stay out. especially Lilly. There were too many things to get into there. It was serving no purpose other than to make me frustrated.

But then, things started coming together.
Aaron built the table I dreamt of. The entire length of one wall, it holds the computer and provides a place for the boys to draw, or play Legos. If we are working on a project, it can sit out until we are finished with it. Crayons, markers and colored pencils sit out, waiting to be used.


There are 3 drawers in the middle of the table to hold my papers and stuff. Another drawer holds drawing papers and stencils for the boys. I love that they can help themselves when they want to create something.



We moved the dresser to this wall. It fits much better here. Those 6 drawers come in handy too. This is a Malm dresser from IKEA and I love the storage it provides me. It is also another surface to use for projects, like this one:



This weekend I painted 2 old bookshelves that we've had for years. A fresh coat of white paint and a very cheerful color on the inside, make these shelves the perfect addition to the room. I think they are my favorite part. Last night I organized all the books. We still have many more in boxes in the garage, and I never pass up a used book sale, so it is good there is empty space
on the shelves.



I hung this print and also put up a map of the US. I am on the hunt for a vintage, pull down map, but haven't found one yet that is quite what I need. In the meantime, I like the way this looks.



The room isn't quite done. There is still an extra large bulletin board to be put up above the dresser. We need blinds of some sort or another. And we want a rug. Since this is a library, we need a cozy place to sit and read. I have my eye on some amazing fabric from IKEA and I think I am going to try my hand at making huge floor pillows. It is going to be great.

But even now, I am amazed that this room is turning out just how I imagined it. James loves to sit at the desk and draw. Lilly sits in front of the bookshelves and reads book after book to herself. William gets out his scissors and cuts paper. I sit at the computer and type away.
It's nice. I like it in here. This room makes me happy.
I'm thankful.


And on that note, I'd like to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I am going to be taking the next few days off to cook a turkey, eat some leftovers, road trip to Fallbrook and maybe the mountains and mostly to relax with my family.
But do check in, I'll post some pics. And I'll see you back here officially next Monday.

Happy Thanksgiving friends.



1 comment:

Lillian said...

It looks great Greta Girl!! I am so happy that it fulfills a dream, and a plan.